[LV2] [LAD] Feature request: icons

Alexandros Theodotou alex at zrythm.org
Thu Mar 18 02:36:38 PDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-03-15 at 18:06 -0400, David Robillard wrote:

> Personally I'd just avoid 99% of those nightmares and ignore the
> concept of system icon "names" and bitmap sizes entirely and just
> stick
> an SVG in the bundle and point some property at it.  That's trivially
> easy and works just like everything else in LV2 does.  There's
> nothing
> magic about files in bundles, no paths to configure, etc.

> I suppose, as a middle ground, we could punt in much the same way
> that
> we do with lv2:binary: you can specify a whole bunch of them if you
> want.  Sorting out which one to use is the host's problem, solved by
> looking at the files themselves.  Thus conveniently avoiding the need
> to write a vocabulary for information that's already there anyway.

I think you're right about keeping it simple with a single property
that points to an icon file (lv2:icon?). Even if we go with that I
guess additional sizes could be provided by adding a suffix to the icon
filename or something, like filename.svg.32x32. Sounds simple and
flexible enough to me.

Alex