[LV2] [LAD] Feature request: icons

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Thu Mar 18 03:29:22 PDT 2021

On 2021-03-18 09:36, Alexandros Theodotou wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-03-15 at 18:06 -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>>
>> Personally I'd just avoid 99% of those nightmares and ignore the
>> concept of system icon "names" and bitmap sizes entirely and just
>> stick
>> an SVG in the bundle and point some property at it.  That's trivially
>> easy and works just like everything else in LV2 does.  There's
>> nothing
>> magic about files in bundles, no paths to configure, etc.

>> I suppose, as a middle ground, we could punt in much the same way
>> that
>> we do with lv2:binary: you can specify a whole bunch of them if you
>> want.  Sorting out which one to use is the host's problem, solved by
>> looking at the files themselves.  Thus conveniently avoiding the need
>> to write a vocabulary for information that's already there anyway.
>>

> I think you're right about keeping it simple with a single property
> that points to an icon file (lv2:icon?). Even if we go with that I
> guess additional sizes could be provided by adding a suffix to the icon
> filename or something, like filename.svg.32x32. Sounds simple and
> flexible enough to me.
>
> Alex

Would handling Icons via output port be totally insane?
The icon would be fully contained in the plugin. Whether or not
restrictions on must/should/do not use of image formats is a question,
it could be as simple as an rgba block of pixel data. Whether or not the
data is dynamically created (eg. drawn to match a size) or from static
resource would be left open.
Greetings
Thomas