[LV2] Preset categories

Alexandros Theodotou alex at zrythm.org
Wed Mar 17 19:43:58 PDT 2021

Hi,

It looks like many plugins try to categorize their presets internally
using various filters (like mood, instrument type etc.) and I thought
it would be more organized to allow hosts do this by (optionally)
including more meta information in presets.

What do you think of adding some extra vocabulary to
http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/presets to describe presets other than just a
bank and a label? For example, pset:category "ambient" or "arp" or
"pad" for instruments. I found some more examples here:
https://performodule.com/2013/05/24/how-to-organize-user-plugin-presets-like-a-boss-in-ableton-9-using-the-hidden-architecture/

Maybe the value of the category should be arbitrary (a string), but
having a standard thing for "pset:category" or "pset:categories" would
be nice. This could be applicable to banks too, if the whole bank fits
a category for example.

Also, as mentioned by strogon14 on IRC, author and description would
also be nice to have (to show in a host UI for example when choosing
presets), but I think properties for those could be reused from
elsewhere. Still, it would be a good idea to include an example of a
fully-described preset in the spec to encourage people to use those
properties.

Alex