[LV2] [LAD] Feature request: icons

Sven Jaehnichen sjaehn at jahnichen.de
Sat Mar 20 01:01:17 PDT 2021

Hi David,

> Something like
>
> lv2:icon
>     a rdf:Property , owl:ObjectProperty
>     rdfs:comment """An icon to display for the subject.
>
> This property should be a URI to some loadable image file.  it is
> recommended to provide an SVG icon with extension ".svg" which is
> relatively simple and can be displayed for any reasonable common icon
> size.  Several icons in different formats and sizes can also be
> provided.  It is assumed that the icon files are self-descriptive
> enough that applications can select a preferred icon from several
> alternatives, there is no vocabulary for specifying sizes or formats.
> """ .

as I mentioned in the lv2 chat, it's a good idea to recommend .svg but
being open for other formats (as you did). I would also recommend to use
a square shaped icon format. As icons on any system are usually in this
format.

Different, but related story: Robin also introduced / mixed in the idea
to use a miniaturized preview of the plugin. But this would be something
different. With different scenarios of use. For showing it in a plugin
selection list it is too small. But it can be shown on a tile or on
hovering over a list item. We discussed about something like
lv2:thumbnail. This it could also be an interface to modgui:thumbnail
and VST3 snapshots.

Best wishes
Sven