[LV2] A question regarding sound preview

Spencer Jackson ssjackson71 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 08:51:30 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 9:09 AM Iurie Nistor <iur.nistor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe is a trivial situation but for now I can't figure out.
>
> I have studied the LV2 documentation and I couldn't find
>
> how to implement sound preview. Now I am using for sound preview
>
> the first stereo output channel of the plugin out 16 but I am afraid
>
> that this will create problems when the user will turn off the channel from
>
> the host or will make a different routing. The plugin has a sample browser
>
> and I want sound preview of the samples before loading them.
>
> Do you know a way to solve this problem and have a permanent
>
> (not user controllable) "channel"/port for sound preview?

If it were a stereo output plugin I'd just expect it to just output to the
same ports, but in a mutli-channel out plugin like that why not make it an
17 output plugin with one dedicated port called monitor? Alternatively I
don't think it would be awful to put a channel select and gain control in
your sample browser for the preview. You could output to all channels, but
I'd be worried if they've already set up a mix on various channels it would
make it difficult to really get a good preview.

Hope that helps!
_Spencer