[LV2] friendly reminder 2017 -- was: Qt5 plugin UIs and libsuil

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Mar 8 11:04:15 PST 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-08 at 16:33 +0100, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 07:07:14PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > On 03/06/2017 06:20 PM, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, when putting multiple toolkits in the same process
> > > under
> > > linux, I believe things will probably never be elegant.
> >
> > Exactly. And it's not only Linux, it's on any OS really (and worse
> > on
> > some. eg. OSX due to flat global namespace).
> >
> > Please, never ever use a toolkit that does not allow statically
> > linking
> > plugin-UIs (or plugins in general).
>
> Right. Thats one solution. Maybe it would be helpful to make a list
> of
> recommended toolkits supporting this properly somewhere.
>
> However, it is not the only way to fix the problem. Since LV2 already
> uses
> message based communication between plugin and UI, all the host needs
> to do is
> put each UI into its own process (like Carla does). Then developers
> can
> continue to use Qt or Gtk with dynamic linking for the UI, without
> the problems
> of pulling conflicting UI toolkits into the host process.

Yeah, suil should be able to do this, providing a
suil_just_show_the_thing() or whatever that Just Works whenever
possible.

Clearly it was a mistake to not bake this in from day one, preventing
all the horrific nonsense like external-ui that burdens both plugin and
host authors with this crap, but oh well.  Live and learn :)

--
dr