[LV2] friendly reminder 2017 -- was: Qt5 plugin UIs and libsuil

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Mar 8 11:23:21 PST 2017

On 03/08/2017 08:04 PM, David Robillard wrote:

> Yeah, suil should be able to do this, providing a
> suil_just_show_the_thing() or whatever that Just Works whenever
> possible.

I'd love to see an efficient IPC mechanism that works x-platform on all
the platforms that LV2 works on.

And then the plugin UIs - separate-applications - still need to ship the
whole stack.  Also opening and closing a plugin UI will load e.g. a few
hundred MB of QT5 libs and that for every plugin GUI.

> Clearly it was a mistake to not bake this in from day one, preventing
> all the horrific nonsense like external-ui that burdens both plugin and
> host authors with this crap, but oh well.  Live and learn :)

I'm tempted to state the opposite. Allowing separation is a geeky
pipedream without any real world impact.

2c,
robin