[LV2] friendly reminder 2017 -- was: Qt5 plugin UIs and libsuil

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Wed Mar 8 07:33:03 PST 2017

   Hi!

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 07:07:14PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 06:20 PM, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > Unfortunately, when putting multiple toolkits in the same process under
> > linux, I believe things will probably never be elegant.
>
> Exactly. And it's not only Linux, it's on any OS really (and worse on
> some. eg. OSX due to flat global namespace).
>
> Please, never ever use a toolkit that does not allow statically linking
> plugin-UIs (or plugins in general).

Right. Thats one solution. Maybe it would be helpful to make a list of
recommended toolkits supporting this properly somewhere.

However, it is not the only way to fix the problem. Since LV2 already uses
message based communication between plugin and UI, all the host needs to do is
put each UI into its own process (like Carla does). Then developers can
continue to use Qt or Gtk with dynamic linking for the UI, without the problems
of pulling conflicting UI toolkits into the host process.

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan