[LV2] plea to plugin UI devs

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:17:33 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I still remember the times when we did all that graphical stuff with
> nothing but Xlib and maybe that horrible Athena toolkit (yeah, that's that
> lonely libXt.so that's been sitting there in your /usr/lib for years
> wondering why noone loves it any more), I'm on your side there. Let's face
> it, before the advent of GTK and Qt, the Linux GUI simply looked like sh*t.
> :) Even Motif looked like an improvement, and nobody talks about that
> anymore either.

If anyone needs a reminder how the Linux GUI looked in the bad old days
(around 1994/95, there might be some people on this list who weren't even
born back then), here's a rather typical screenshot from that era:

http://chuck.burkins.net/xfm.jpg

Yeah, that's xfm there, the best (and pretty much the only) graphical file
manager available for X11 on Linux at that time. Xfm was originally written
by Simon Marlow at Glasgow (he's now at Microsoft, still maintaining the
Glasgow Haskell Compiler I guess) and improved by yours truly (xpm color
icons, yeah! before it was xbm, so b&w only). Now before you laugh, this
already had an application launcher and assignable shell actions per mime
type. I have to admit, though, that Dolphin and Thunar look a bit nicer.

And now get off my lawn, I need to fix some bugs in moxfm. ;-)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  aggraef at gmail.com