[LV2] OT: 32-bit Build on OSX

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Nov 26 14:19:44 PST 2014

On 2014-11-26 17:03, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 10:39 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>> What exactly would a "properly maintained abstraction for OSX builds" do?
>
> For host authors: nothing. Current waf is sufficient.
>
> For plugin authors: It'd be a xcode component.
> However, the hard part there is to export it in a way that allows
> x-platform builds and x-compilation. Still, the project could be laid
> out in a way that will allow using other build-systems with the same
> code for that purpose.

Well, we'll see how hard that is at some point, I suppose.  Doing it
without x-platform would be a good first step anyway.

It might be easier to just not use waf in that case, or use waf to build
the 'project' (some people do this for MSVC, not sure about xcode but
waf can do that sort of thing in general at least)

>> Building a proper framework is the only thing I can think of that would
>> make LV2 more comfortable to use for native OSX types, but I don't know
>> much about that.
>
> this getting a bit OT now but for what it's worth:
>
> A few weeks ago, I opened Xcode. it came up with a "new Project dialog".
> Select "AU plugin component" from the list, press OK.
>
> (there are two options to choose: "AU plugin component" and "AU plugin
> with Cocoa UI")
>
> That created an example project that compiles with one click and has
> commented source where to put actual code.
>
> While I personally found all this point and grunt rather preposterous,
> it's probably what the average OSX-type developer wants.

Getting the click and drool part can't be that hard once you have the
suitable template/skeleton.  Specifying port signatures and required
features makes it slightly more tricky, though, since you'd actually
have to generate that stuff (and/or use a currently non-existent dynamic
way to do so)

--
dr