[LV2] OT: 32-bit Build on OSX

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Nov 26 14:03:23 PST 2014

On 11/26/2014 10:39 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> What exactly would a "properly maintained abstraction for OSX builds" do?

For host authors: nothing. Current waf is sufficient.

For plugin authors: It'd be a xcode component.
However, the hard part there is to export it in a way that allows
x-platform builds and x-compilation. Still, the project could be laid
out in a way that will allow using other build-systems with the same
code for that purpose.

> Building a proper framework is the only thing I can think of that would
> make LV2 more comfortable to use for native OSX types, but I don't know
> much about that.

this getting a bit OT now but for what it's worth:

A few weeks ago, I opened Xcode. it came up with a "new Project dialog".
Select "AU plugin component" from the list, press OK.

(there are two options to choose: "AU plugin component" and "AU plugin
with Cocoa UI")

That created an example project that compiles with one click and has
commented source where to put actual code.

While I personally found all this point and grunt rather preposterous,
it's probably what the average OSX-type developer wants.

I hazard a guess that steinberg has a similar wizard for MSVC and VST.

2c,
robin