[LV2] OT: 32-bit Build on OSX

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Nov 26 13:39:19 PST 2014

On 2014-11-26 15:27, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 08:25 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>> Thanks, Michael.  I will look into adding --32 --64 and --universal
>> options to the configure script so it's obvious how to do this from the
>> help output.  Perhaps universal should be the default for OSX?
>
> Why? A local user does not need it. People building it as dylib for
> inclusion in project-bundles will (or should) know better.

If only I could accept "people should know better" as a reason in
general, life would be ever so much simpler :)

The embarrassing state of most proprietary plugins (VST especially) are
lovely evidence that plugin developers in particular don't know better
from a hole in the ground, but that's another discussion...

In this case I more or less agree, though.

> Well, one can always use lipo(1) to strip architectures from a .dylib
> again. That's useful for big projects where libs+binaries for one
> architecture alone are > 100MB. (a universal build would blow that up to
> 400MB or more). Besides most people these days only want (or need) x86_64.
>
> Sadly, waf does not have a properly maintained abstraction for OSX
> builds. Something self-made is bound to be more trouble than useful.
> It took auto* years to get all this right. Even cmake is not quite there
> yet. I recommend against adding this to the wscript (or autowaf)
> of a specific project unless you're prepared to go all the way and
> maintain it as well.

What exactly would a "properly maintained abstraction for OSX builds" do?

Building a proper framework is the only thing I can think of that would
make LV2 more comfortable to use for native OSX types, but I don't know
much about that.

> What's wrong with using CFLAGS LDFLAGS CC CXX and other
> environment-variable with waf?

Nothing.

--
dr