[LV2] Feedback request: new LV2 website

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Nov 25 20:25:30 PST 2014

On 11/26/2014 05:00 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> On 2014-11-25 21:01, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 11/26/2014 02:03 AM, David Robillard wrote:
>>
>> Cool. We're slowly getting somwhere.
>>
>> [..]
>>
>>> One thing I can't figure out, if any web ninjas are lurking about: the
>>> images scale (preserving aspect) to fit the gallery box, but I can't get
>>> them vertically centered when they are smaller.
>>
>> We should not do that. All front-page featured images should have the
>> same size. Prepared manually (collage, crop/clip, ...).
>
> Why not?  I mean, sure, a nice consistent set of images would be better,
> but what's the harm in supporting ones with different aspect ratios
> correctly?

It will be very hard to make it look professional and convey "quality".

[..]

> Like it or not, many plugin UIs have dramatically different
> aspect ratios.  We might not want to scale in one dimension, but that
> needs to be handled correctly anyway.

right make a 'collage' then. eg

http://calf.sourceforge.net/images/plugins.png
or http://ardour.org/images/plugin-collage.png

for inspiration also have a look at http://www.waves.com/
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/store-mixbus-plugins.html
https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq5 heck even http://steinberg.net/

I don't suggest to copy their /sales-banding-style/ but just slapping up
a few auto-generated screenshots in various sizes and harlequin colours
on the lv2 front-page won't fly, IMHO.

We can start a list one click away that indexes plugins with
auto-generated screenshots in various sizes... but I recommend to not do
that on the landing page.

[..]

> Feel free ;)  I would prefer not having some mountainous "web framework"

..followed up on IRC. We found this CSS-only beauty:
http://codepen.io/pixelgrid/pen/hjBrE  worth sharing.

Cheers!
robin