[LV2] Feedback request: new LV2 website

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Nov 25 20:00:16 PST 2014

On 2014-11-25 21:01, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 02:03 AM, David Robillard wrote:
>
> Cool. We're slowly getting somwhere.
>
> [..]
>
>> One thing I can't figure out, if any web ninjas are lurking about: the
>> images scale (preserving aspect) to fit the gallery box, but I can't get
>> them vertically centered when they are smaller.
>
> We should not do that. All front-page featured images should have the
> same size. Prepared manually (collage, crop/clip, ...).

Why not?  I mean, sure, a nice consistent set of images would be better,
but what's the harm in supporting ones with different aspect ratios
correctly?  Like it or not, many plugin UIs have dramatically different
aspect ratios.  We might not want to scale in one dimension, but that
needs to be handled correctly anyway.

> I think the layout should not squeeze the images on the side and instead
> feature an image-carousel (with titles) more proimently in the center
> use 16:9 aspect. e.g. 640x360px
>
> thoughts?

I doubt you can count the number of plugins with exactly a 16:9 aspect
ratio on one hand, and wouldn't be surprised if you don't need any
fingers at all ;)

If you want a width constraint, sure, 640 is reasonable.

>> It would also be nice if clicking on the active image would take you to
>> that image file, or perhaps (fancier) the corresponding site.
>>

> Mouse hover stops the carousel. click on the title to follow.
>
> http://www.jssor.com/ - yet the web is full of jquery stuff like this.
> just pick one.

Feel free ;)  I would prefer not having some mountainous "web framework"
for such a simple thing, though I don't particularly care either, as
long as it's not too mountainous.

Bikeshed away, I will spend my time working on the docs, and hopefully
some day actually on the bloody code again...

--
dr