[LV2] Killing the event extension

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Tue Jan 28 13:38:09 PST 2014

Am 28.01.2014 22:06, schrieb David Robillard:
> On 2014-01-28 15:04, hermann meyer wrote:
> [...]
>>> It's time to spearhead more aggressive deprecation of the event
>>> extension,
>>> e.g.:
>>>
>>> 1) Make sure hosts support atom
>>> 2) Make sure plugins are ported
>>> 3) Make event headers noisy with warnings
>>> 4) Remove host support
>>> 5) Hiding event and uri-map from the docs completely
>>>
>>> I will try to find the time to personally help with 2, but consider
>>> this
>>> fair warning that 3 and 4 will happen in the not so distant future :)
>>>

>> I use the event extension in gxtuner.lv2
>> If you removing the event extension, I will drop the midi support in it.
>> What is about backward compatibility, is it snow from yesterday?
>
> Well, we have backwards compatibility.  We've had it for the almost 2
> years
> that the event extension has been deprecated.
>
> Obviously burdening hosts, especially new ones, with implementing
> support for
> events in two different ways is not a good strategy.  It's an egg on
> the face
> of LV2 that actively makes host authors hesitant to implement support.
>
> There comes a point when letting a few straggler projects cripple LV2
> itself
> is counter-productive.  That point is rapidly approaching.  It doesn't
> take a
> decade to move a few plugins to a slightly different event API.

I would love if we talk about hosts implement the basic features, like
the work extension, but I'm not aware that there is a concurrent way of
implement the  event extension.

However, now big deal. As I said, I'll just remove the midi extension of
gxtuner.lv2 and be done.
But, I guess you know yourself the light of what it means to remove a
support for a once implemented  feature. Instance access??