[LV2] Killing the event extension

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Jan 28 13:06:06 PST 2014

On 2014-01-28 15:04, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 28.01.2014 20:41, schrieb David Robillard:
>> On 2014-01-28 13:44, Albert Graef wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>
>>> wrote:
[...]
>> It's time to spearhead more aggressive deprecation of the event
>> extension,
>> e.g.:
>>
>> 1) Make sure hosts support atom
>> 2) Make sure plugins are ported
>> 3) Make event headers noisy with warnings
>> 4) Remove host support
>> 5) Hiding event and uri-map from the docs completely
>>
>> I will try to find the time to personally help with 2, but consider
>> this
>> fair warning that 3 and 4 will happen in the not so distant future
>> :)
>>

> I use the event extension in gxtuner.lv2
> If you removing the event extension, I will drop the midi support in
> it.
> What is about backward compatibility, is it snow from yesterday?

Well, we have backwards compatibility.  We've had it for the almost 2
years
that the event extension has been deprecated.

Obviously burdening hosts, especially new ones, with implementing
support for
events in two different ways is not a good strategy.  It's an egg on
the face
of LV2 that actively makes host authors hesitant to implement support.

There comes a point when letting a few straggler projects cripple LV2
itself
is counter-productive.  That point is rapidly approaching.  It doesn't
take a
decade to move a few plugins to a slightly different event API.

--
dr