[LV2] Ui update rate

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon May 6 08:15:28 PDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 05:27 AM, hermann meyer wrote:
[..]

> Thanks Robin, I will try that, jalv is the host I use for development,
> and the UI refresh / signaling rate limitation makes it hard to run
> analyzers therewith.

Indeed. I've amendedthe patch and made it an option for jalv.gtk "-r"
(attached).

@drobilla: please consider merging it.

> I think even if the host cant guarantee a frequent refresh rate (if he
> do it on idle), it will be helpful if the plugin (Ui) have a way to know
> about that.

No host can guarantee it -- unless it runs the UI with RT privileges
and/or syncs to screen VBlank or sth along those lines.

But having an 'estimate' time that is known to both plugin and UI would
be helpful.
e.g. the plugin does not need to send meter-level updates at 25Hz if the
UI is only running at 15Hz. In fact some updates would simply be lost or
just make the UI work a bit harder (draw twice) with no benefit.

Cheers!
robin