[LV2] Anyone Using JUCE for Plugin GUIs

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 08:33:22 PST 2013

On 12/07/2013 04:03 PM, Michael Fisher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in writing a few plugin GUI's using JUCE (
> http://juce.com ).  Note that I ONLY want juce for Gui's, not the
> plugins themselves.  The problem I'm facing is juce uses a
> global/singleton class, MessageManager, to drive all GUI events.  Does
> this mean I shouldn't use JUCE for GUI's??
>
> I have a test setup where juce is initialized once by whichever UI is
> loaded first, then all other loaded UI's would share the same message
> thread.   This looks plain wrong, but it seems to work well (in ingen
> and ardour anyway)
> https://github.com/lvtk/lvtk-plugins/blob/master/src/ui/ui.cpp
I already did the Juce LV2 wrapper in case you didn't know.
http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/juce-lv2-plugin-wrapper

I've been using it in DISTRHO ports, and PIanoteq released an LV2
version based on this code.

It works just fine from what I see, except that it requires
instance-access (because of Juce).
The UIs are exposed as both native (X11/Windows/Cocoa depending on
target) and external-UI.
jalv, qtractor, ardour3 and Carla load these LV2 plugins + UIs just fine.
ingen does not, but that's because ingen refuses to load UIs requring
instance-access.