[LV2] Anyone Using JUCE for Plugin GUIs

Michael Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 08:44:16 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/2013 04:03 PM, Michael Fisher wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm interested in writing a few plugin GUI's using JUCE ( http://juce.com).  Note that I ONLY want juce for Gui's, not the plugins themselves.  The
>> problem I'm facing is juce uses a global/singleton class, MessageManager,
>> to drive all GUI events.  Does this mean I shouldn't use JUCE for GUI's??
>>
>> I have a test setup where juce is initialized once by whichever UI is
>> loaded first, then all other loaded UI's would share the same message
>> thread.   This looks plain wrong, but it seems to work well (in ingen and
>> ardour anyway)
>> https://github.com/lvtk/lvtk-plugins/blob/master/src/ui/ui.cpp
>>
> I already did the Juce LV2 wrapper in case you didn't know.
> http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/juce-lv2-plugin-wrapper

I was aware of this actually.  thanks!   I'm going for  GUI only when it
comes to juce though.  Nice job on the wrapper, wonder if Jules will ever
incorporate your work upstream.   I'm aiming at keeping my plugins (for
lvtk anyway) using only std c++ and maybe boost.

> I've been using it in DISTRHO ports, and PIanoteq released an LV2 version
> based on this code.
>
> It works just fine from what I see, except that it requires
> instance-access (because of Juce).
> The UIs are exposed as both native (X11/Windows/Cocoa depending on target)
> and external-UI.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'll be doing... expose whatever the native
UI is on the system.

> jalv, qtractor, ardour3 and Carla load these LV2 plugins + UIs just fine.
> ingen does not, but that's because ingen refuses to load UIs requring
> instance-access.

Thanks