[LV2] Anyone Using JUCE for Plugin GUIs

Michael Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 08:03:25 PST 2013

Hello all,

I'm interested in writing a few plugin GUI's using JUCE (
http://juce.com).  Note that I ONLY want juce for Gui's, not the
plugins themselves.  The
problem I'm facing is juce uses a global/singleton class, MessageManager,
to drive all GUI events.  Does this mean I shouldn't use JUCE for GUI's??

I have a test setup where juce is initialized once by whichever UI is
loaded first, then all other loaded UI's would share the same message
thread.   This looks plain wrong, but it seems to work well (in ingen and
ardour anyway)
https://github.com/lvtk/lvtk-plugins/blob/master/src/ui/ui.cpp

I didn't see any guidelines in the UI spec that says I can't start a
singleton message thread to drive multiple GUI's

Any advice would be appreciated and hopefully JUCE will work out.  It truly
is a great toolkit for making highly customized GUI's and would be a shame
if I and others can't use it for plugin gui's

A side note, I'm not really interested in external UI.  In fact, i'm trying
to avoid it at all costs.