[LV2] Add/remove/change ports from practical view ?

Sven Jaehnichen sjaehn at jahnichen.de
Tue May 26 23:24:04 PDT 2020

Hi,

I know that lv2core tells that
* Change of a port lv2:symbol, or
* Remove of a port, or
* Addition of a port unless it is lv2:connectionOptional
breaks compatibility (both, forward and backward) and requires a new
major version number and thus a new URI for the respective plugin (see
http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core#minorVersion).

On the other hand I (and others) experienced that the most (if not all)
hosts are tolerant about additions (even without
lv2:connectionOptional). Unless it is an unsupported feature. Also
deletions seem to be possible. Only changing the lv2:symbol of a port is
EVIL (and this makes sense).

Are there any know *practical* problems about the addition of
non-connectionOptional ports or the remove of *unused* ports? I ask
because I have some of such *unused* ports.

For the case that this is only a theoretical problem, wouldn't it be
possible to be less strict (now: capitalized MUST) about addtitons
and/or deletions?

Regards,
Sven