[LV2] pset:name for altering port names?

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun May 17 01:56:34 PDT 2020

On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 14:19 +0100, Milkii B wrote:
> I have wondered before about renaming ports so they are not so
> unenlightening/confusing in a patchbay. Recently I had the thought
> again whilst using the new uhhyou CVPort CV_Gate16 plugin.
>
> How about a new pset:name for lv2:port in presets to allow either
> plugins or users to supply alternate port name labels (given the
> symbol is the id)?
>
> Some use cases: a mixer plugin where internal user-defined channel
> names are be reflected in the output port names; a synth plugin where
> an output port name alters depending on the waveform/etc selected;
> and (in-between those two) a generator plugin (a la CV_Gate16) where
> the user could relabel the control output names depending on the use
> they are put to.

One of the reasons why I suggested Rui's control input thing just use
normal Set or Put messages instead of a custom format is that there are
a bunch of other things the plugin might want to say about a port.

... and here's one.  There will surely be more and more.

The only problem with ports is that they don't really have decent
identifiers.  Specifically, there is no standard way to refer to them
as the subject in patch messages.  This is the problem to
solve/standardize.  By nature most everything of interest in LV2 is
already defined as a property.  If there was a standard way to refer to
a port as the subject of e.g. a patch:Set then you can set all sorts of
things.

Value? Sure.
Label? Sure.
Min and max? Sure.
Designation? Sure.

... and so on and so on.

There's nothing particularly special about these various properties.

As far as actual disk presets go, this is basically how it works
anyway.  There's no rule that says you can't put a lv2:name in a
preset.  I'm not sure why we would introduce a pset:name?
(Particularly when lv2:name is a mistake anyway and it should either
be used universally or not exist in favour of rdfs:label).  I'm just
not entirely sure that makes much sense and AFAIK nothing supports it
currently.

--
dr