[LV2] Feature request: DSP write_function() ?

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Mon Dec 21 10:43:51 PST 2020

Am 21.12.20 um 15:30 schrieb Filipe Coelho:
> On 21/12/20 12:06, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> Using atom ports could be a solver, just, unfortunately the only host
>> I found which fully support the patch:Set patch:Get extension is
>> Qtractor. All other hosts I tried didn't handle those messages in the
>> one or the other way, so that sync between host and plugin provided
>> GUI didn't work.
>
> We spoke about this on IRC, but there is at least synthpod that
> implements patch extension properly. synthpod itself does not yet have
> a stable release though..
>
> I finished mod-host/ui support for lv2 parameters through
> patch:Set/Get a few days ago, and now working to finalize Carla (so
> v2.3 which will be out in 25 days should support this much better)
>
> This has been a chicken&egg problem. Host support was lacking, so most
> plugins just used the old ways. And even the existing plugins were/are
> not always correct about this. It is improving, but someone has to
> make the jump to kinda force the rest of developers to support it too.
> The OMK plugins are a great start, they all use these new APIs -
> https://open-music-kontrollers.ch/lv2/

Synthpod have it own issues as well, so for example it create controls
for patch:writable and patch:readable separately (Means it double
controls and only sync the readable ones to the plugin GUi, while you
could only change the writable ones, which are basically the same, but
threaded different). This do as well not allow to sync the plugin GUI
with host provided UI, and easily lead to a overflow in the atom ring
buffer.

It's true, it's a chicken&egg problem, but I'm already convinced that
atom ports been theway to go for LV2 as it allow so much more then the
simple control port API.

Issues like that shows thebenefits of the chosen extension model in LV2,
as this way it is solvable at all. We are not bounded to a model which
have to work for the time being.

I'm pretty sure the community will be able to solve that issue at least.
But for now, we are far from being there.