[LV2] pset:name for altering port names?

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Thu Apr 30 10:04:46 PDT 2020

Am 30.04.20 um 00:17 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> On 4/29/20 3:19 PM, Milkii B wrote:
>> I have wondered before about renaming ports so they are not so
>> unenlightening/confusing in a patchbay. Recently I had the thought again
>> whilst using the new uhhyou CVPort
>> <https://github.com/ryukau/LV2Plugins/tree/master/lv2cvport> CV_Gate16
>> plugin.
>>
>> How about a new pset:name for lv2:port in presets to allow either plugins
>> or users to supply alternate port name labels (given the symbol is the id)?
>>
>> Some use cases: a mixer plugin where internal user-defined channel names
>> are be reflected in the output port names; a synth plugin where an output
>> port name alters depending on the waveform/etc selected; and (in-between
>> those two) a generator plugin (*a la* CV_Gate16) where the user could
>> relabel the control output names depending on the use they are put to.
>>
> Why would any of these depend on the preset?
> Naming ports seem rather orthogonal to preset plugin state.
>
> In your example, changing a waveform of a synth would first need to save
> and restore a preset in order to update a label on the faceplate.
>
> Presets aside, I don't think it's realistic to come up with a schema to
> update port labels on a host side UI. Such a concept would need to be
> sufficiently flexible, support translations, and retain the layout. Also
> for a mixer-strip or gate label, the name should be user-editable
> directly in the GUI.
>
> If you need to change the faceplate, custom UIs are likely the best (and
> only) way to handle this.
>
> 2c,
> robin

Still, I've no idea how a plugin should save a changed name for a port
without putting them in a preset, or, save a config file out of scope of
the LV2 specs.

But I know, and, we do that in guitarix since day one when we support
LV2 plugins, it's a easy task for the host to provide that feature.

A host saves anyway it's own config out of scope of the lv2 specs, so
saving names for ports to be used in the host provided UI is, well,
easy. Even, when a host stays with it's own config files within the LV2
specs.

The same is true for any other aspect of the UI presentation, as long it
is provided by the host.

In guitarix you could edit any label/enum/range/port order what ever, to
your like, but, non of the plugins coming with guitarix, or I'm
developed out of guitarix, will be able to provide such a feature.

that's my 2 cents.