[LV2] Communication between effect and UI

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Mon Oct 16 07:27:29 PDT 2017

On 16.10.2017 16:18, JP Cimalando wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am making a synthesizer and UI which exchange messages in both
> directions, using event ports and port notifications. How can I pass
> messages which are potentially larger than the port buffer?
>
> I believe jalv has a default port buffer of 32k. Please correct me if I
> am wrong; a plugin does not have a way to request a minimum port
> buffer (aka sequenceSize).

You can request minium event port buffer sizes via [1], e.g. see [2].

> Concretely, I may want to ask the audio effect to notify the UI of the
> instrument bank which is loaded in it, among several things. I have
> found that another plugin did such functionality just by using
> instance-access (Dexed I believe).
>
> Can I avoid using instance-access for this?

Put your info into custom atom objects or better even, use patch
messages [3].

[1] http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/resize-port/resize-port.html#minimumSize
[2]
https://git.open-music-kontrollers.ch/lv2/moony.lv2/tree/plugin/moony.ttl#n155