[LV2] Communication between effect and UI

JP Cimalando jp at cimalando.eu
Mon Oct 16 07:18:03 PDT 2017

Hello.

I am making a synthesizer and UI which exchange messages in both
directions, using event ports and port notifications. How can I pass
messages which are potentially larger than the port buffer?

I believe jalv has a default port buffer of 32k. Please correct me if I
am wrong; a plugin does not have a way to request a minimum port
buffer (aka sequenceSize).

Concretely, I may want to ask the audio effect to notify the UI of the
instrument bank which is loaded in it, among several things. I have
found that another plugin did such functionality just by using
instance-access (Dexed I believe).

Can I avoid using instance-access for this?