[LV2] What is the most bare-bones way to run LV2 plugins?

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Fri Aug 4 00:43:37 PDT 2017

On 04.08.2017 06:12, Yuri wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 14:53, Johannes Mueller wrote:
>> There's lv2ls that comes with lilv. (lilv-utils in kxstudio) for
>> listplugins.
>>
>> For applyplugin maybe lv2file is an option, never tried it though.
>>
>> If you want to run a plugin with gui, try jalv.
>

> Thanks, I tried a few of them.
>

> I have another question. I would like to make an audio-plugin system for
> one desktop instant messenger application. I would like to be able to
> load LV2 plugins, let the user arrange the filter in GUI, and run it.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this?
>
> The requirements are:
>
> 1. Loads as a shared library
>
> 2. Shows available plugins in GUI.
>
> 3. Allows the user to interactively build the chain of filters, or maybe
> to just choose one filter.
>
> 4. Able to have the persistent state, so that the user can see and
> modify the filters at the later time.
>
> 5. Has to be very easy to use for everyday just to play with in/out audio.
>

> Does such library exist?

There's the lilv [1] library which (almost) all LV2 hosts use to
discover/load/run/save LV2 plugins and their state. It takes away a lot
of the complexity involved in dealing with the RDF metadata.

[1] http://drobilla.net/software/lilv

Hosts then usually have their own implementations of chaining things
together and dealing with audio/midi in/out.

The closest thing to a library which would also handle the rest for you
is ingen [2], which comes as a server/client/library triumvirate.

[2] http://drobilla.net/software/ingen