[LV2] plea to plugin UI devs

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 04:55:11 PDT 2016

On 19.03.2016 11:58, Albert Graef wrote:
> So exactly which library do you want us to implement our plugin GUIs with?

I think the first email was clear:
> **Please avoid big toolkit and be careful with C++**

Some of us spent a considerable amount of time on custom solutions
because we predicted these issues.

Most of us went with pugl.
I made DPF to deal with several plugin formats at the same time.
Robin made robtk (design based on gtk I believe, but doesn't use gtk
anymore)
Harry started AVTK based NTK, but seeing its issues is now switching
over to pugl with cairo.

So a sane solution with be pugl, which can use cairo or openGL.

One important detail here is that pugl is only the base for handling
events and windows.
You can use cairo or openGL based drawing libraries without issues.
(if you do a search on google or github, there's a lot to chose from).

DPF has built-in support for nanovg. (html5canvas-like drawing API)
I'm looking to integrate https://github.com/wjakob/nanogui next.

Juce is an option too, but not everybody likes its way of doing things.

You can also roll your own mini-toolkit. Here's some examples:
drumgizmo: http://cgit.drumgizmo.org/drumgizmo/tree/plugingui
oxefmsynth:
https://github.com/oxesoft/oxefmsynth/blob/master/src/toolkits/xlibtoolkit.cpp
linuxdsp/overtonedsp (no links to code for obvious reasons..)