[LV2] inline plugin displays

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:29:56 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> I'm not the sole author of this code (it goes back to jmeters) and it's
> unlikely that the other Author will consent to relicensing it -
> particularly for pilfering :)

Ok, I see. So no pilfering-friendly license. ;-) But that shouldn't be much
of a problem. I don't expect hordes of angry proprietary Faust LV2 plugin
developers come knocking on my door anytime soon.

> Do you have some suitable drawing code lying around.
>
> Not really but I can whip something up.

Thanks, I'll get back to you when needed. But I should probably come up
with a proof of concept using the existing code first. :)

It greatly depends on the available libs that you may or may not want to
> use for drawing. libcairo is my favorite go-to solution. it's
> lightweight, portable and only depends on zlib and libpng.

libcairo sounds great. I'm not worried about dependencies here.

Simply displaying some/all output ports as generic bar-graphs does not
> strike me as very useful. Mixer-strip Inline Displays ought to be very
> concise otherwise they'll just distract from the audio task.

I agree. Shouldn't be much more than one or two. But I don't see much of a
problem there. It's possible to require a special meta key such as
[lv2:inline] in the control label to enable the inline display feature. The
layout information is already in the Faust source, or one might simply use
the control types (hbargraph or vbargraph) as a clue for that.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  aggraef at gmail.com