[LV2] [Rust] Anybody interested in Rust?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 06:20:04 PST 2016

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Stefan Riha <hoitaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I'm a beginner writing an LV2 audio plugin in Rust, and as a "side
> effect" I wrote an LV2 interface. Someone on GitHub suggested that it was
> not idiomatic Rust. I think what I initially did was re-implementing the
> basic functions/types of the LV2 spec in Rust, but (and that's the problem)
> using mostly its C compatibility features. Rust has a lots of those, to
> enable use of existing C libraries, which is one of its main strength if i
> understand correctly. Also a necessity for the language to gain serious
> traction.
>
> That actually worked for me, I'm mostly interested in working on my
> extremely sophisticated sawtooth synth (note the sarcasm, as I said I'm
> hobbyist/beginner) instead of providing an LV2 interface in Rust.

Cool - keep us informed of your progress - I'm always interested in a cheap
(preferrably band-limited) sawtooth algorithm :)

> However, from a larger perspective of someone trying to learn proper
> programming in Rust, getting the LV2 part right would be the right thing to
> do, so hence the question on SO and here.

Ah yes just read the SO question - I don't have any experience with Rust
and writing native C bindings - so won't be of any help there!

Cheers, -H

--

http://www.openavproductions.com