[LV2] Mapping of OSC to LV2 Atoms

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:07:30 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Hanspeter Portner <ventosus at airpost.net>
wrote:

> * Anybody else interested in OSC <-> Atom mapping?

Yes! It's about time that someone tackles this, thanks a lot for that. :)

I don't have much to add to what Spencer already said, but FWIW here are my
2 cents. I agree with Spencer that the TFNI types should be atom-less. All
the information is already in the type string, it's up to the plugin to
process it in any way it sees fit.

Concerning the OSC-encoded MIDI messages, I guess that in order to avoid
information loss they might be encoded as a tuple containing an
LV2_Atom_Int and an LV2_Atom_Chunk. Seems overkill to me, though, so I'm
also leaning towards just ignoring the port byte, who uses it anyway? FLW
;-)

Do you have any thoughts yet how this extension might be implemented in
existing DAWs? Specifically, I'm thinking about how the DAW should route
OSC messages from the outside world to a plugin. To not overwhelm plugins
with a flurry of messages they don't understand, there should probably be a
way of advertising the paths (or prefixes of paths) a plugin wants to
receive in the plugin manifest?

Greetings,
Albert

--