[LV2] Pd LV2 external?

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 15:45:25 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:21 AM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:
> Jalv is a relatively simple example, though it's getting a bit, er,
> featureful these days, and quite a bit of it is Jack specific, basically
> everything you need to do is in jalv.c which is pretty digestible.
>
> The lilv utilities lv2ls and lv2info might also be useful since they're
> very simple and get at plugins, but they don't actually do any
> instantiation or running.

Thanks, digging through the code was indeed helpful. :) As an
exercise, I wrote some Lilv bindings for my Pure programming language.
Writing Pd externals in Pure is much easier than in C, so I
implemented an lv2plugin~ Pd external using the Pure Lilv bindings
which seems to work pretty well. MIDI, audio and control data are all
supported. There's still some stuff missing, most notably preset
support, but it shouldn't be too hard to add this now that the basic
infrastructure is there. Also, I want to port the external to plain C
eventually, but for the time being the Pure implementation should give
Pd users something to play with.

In case anyone wants to give it a go, you can find Pure as well as the
pd-pure and pure-lilv modules including some examples at
https://bitbucket.org/purelang/pure-lang. The lv2plugin external is in
its own git repo at Bitbucket, https://bitbucket.org/agraef/lv2plugin.
I'll also make some packages for this stuff available in the Arch User
Repositories asap.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  aggraef at gmail.com
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef