[LV2] Dynamic midnam support for LV2 instruments.

Bent Bisballe Nyeng deva at aasimon.org
Fri May 17 03:14:10 PDT 2013

Hi list

Ardour recently added midnam files for a variety of different midi
hardware. This has made me start thinking about how I could supply
similar functionality for my LV2 plugin.

In short; the midnam files map each midi note into a symbolic string
which can then be shown in the midi editor for easier note placement.

This could for example be "snare drum" for midi note 38 (as per GM
drummap), or "drain gurgling" for note 42 (which is not in any map that
I know of...)

I hereby propose a new extension, enabling the LV2 plugin to report back
the symbolic textual names of the midi notes to the host.

Kind regards
Bent Bisballe Nyeng
http://www.drumgizmo.org