[LV2] UI class for openGL/pugl ?!

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri Mar 15 12:36:59 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 03:57 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> What UI class would I use for openGL in general or
> pugl (http://drobilla.net/software/pugl/) in particular?
>
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui/#UI
> only mentions CocoaUI, Gtk3UI, GtkUI, Qt4UI, WindowsUI and X11UI
>
> Is support for openGL planned in libsuil?

There is no OpenGL widget type (both literally in general and in an LV2
sense).  You can do OpenGL with the "native" window types, i.e.
WindowsUI, X11UI, or CocoaUI.  The host does not know or care that
drawing happens to be implemented in OpenGL.

This is essentially what Pugl is: a hyper-minimal "toolkit" for getting
a window and events (native stuff) which you can draw to with OpenGL.
You could easily rehash it to use Cairo or whatever actually, 99% of the
code is general event and window stuff.

There are native X11 plugin UIs that don't use GL at all that use
exactly the same stuff host side, LinuxDSP.

Use of GL, or not, or whatever else, is a decision the plugin UI author
is free to make, as it should be.

Cheers,