[LV2] UI idle callback for native UIs/foreign toolkits

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Mon Mar 18 21:51:47 PDT 2013

Hi all.  Since I know a few of you are tinkering in this area:

I have added a bit of API to the UI extension in svn to provide an idle
callback driven by the host.  This allows stuff like embedded GL, FLTK,
etc. UIs to draw and handle events.  I implemented this in Suil's
X11-in-Gtk wrapper so hosts don't have to change whatsoever (yay).

I removed the thread from my toy Glamp.lv2 plugin, so it now draws GL
and handles events without any non-portable/flaky thread stuff.

Working test case w/ most recent svn of everything:

jalv.gtk http://drobilla.net/plugins/glamp

(You should see a gradient that pulses, and input events are printed)

Links:

http://lv2plug.in/changeset/877
http://dev.drobilla.net/changeset/5091

(Qt implementation is still flaky.  Working on it...)

Feedback welcome, particularly from anyone working on doing UIs in new
toolkits.

Cheers,