[LV2] Idle interface and Plugin => UI ringbuffer overflow

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jun 27 09:21:20 PDT 2013

On 06/27/2013 05:42 AM, Devin Anderson wrote:
>> The reason for using the Idle interface is that the plugin doesn't have to
>> do any threading.. so creating threads in the UI is a hacky workaround that
>> I'd prefer not to have to do :)
>
> Interesting.  I think that the idle interface is a hacky workaround. :)

There have been various discussions here not too long ago with the
consensus that it's just the other way 'round :)

> When you refer to the idle interface, are you referring to
> g_idle_add() and friends in glib, or to other functions?

No.
It's a LV2 feature -- LV2_UI__idleInterface -- the host provides this.

A plugin cannot know in which context the host runs instantiate() so
launching threads from there is generally not a good idea. Hence the LV2
extension: http://lv2plug.in/changeset/877

HTH,
robin