[LV2] Powered By Ingen

Michael Fisher mfisher31 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 12:49:50 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I was wondering what the intentions for using Ingen as a shared library
are.  Is this so I can manage an Ingen::World myself, create my own
clients, start the jack engine, etc, etc?  I noticed headers for the
server aren't installed.

I'm aiming at starting yet another audio/midi sequencer.  Some how some
way I want to power the engine primarily with LV2 technology and Ingen
graphs.  The idea behind graph usage is to layout processing logistics
in the sequencer and also be used as a standard "instrument" format.

Hypothetically a "Sequence" could be some kind of derived graph, which
manages some "Track" blocks (not sure how clip/regions of data would fit
in yet).  And through the nature of ingen graphs, sequences
theoretically can be nested inside of one another (kind of like what you
see in Adobe Premiere)

So obviously a full fledged midi sequencer + capture isn't really doable
with the stock ingen jack/server, but from what I've seen in the code
there's potential for just about anything audio-wise and could easily be
used as a starting point.

Dave, what do you think.  What would be a decent way to derive new
Internal blocks and graphs?  The only thing I can tell with current
materials, is just write my own engine or copy the stock engine and use
it as a starting point.  Or is this probably a bad idea?  It would be
nice to code things in a manner where I can offer patches to Ingen where
applicable.

I'm looking for ways to not re-invent the wheel and so far the LV2 model
makes the most sense to me, even at the application level.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.