[LV2] [Devel] Feature request: error/debug message extension.

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Fri Mar 23 12:38:47 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 18:02 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 05:57 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> > So, restricted format strings, okay, but... is being able to print in
> > the audio thread worth all this?  What is a sensible non-debugging
> > example of wanting to do so?  Given the amount of PITA and how
> > ridiculously complicated this consideration is making a glorified print
> > function, I (and presumably anyone else who would have to implement it)
> > could use a compelling example or two... personally I doubt I'd even
> > implement the audio thread version otherwise.
>
> ...which suggest simple memcpy() logging and plugins are responsible for
> their own formatting.  :-)

The new worker extension makes this a non-issue, the plugin can just
fire things to the worker and print logs there.

I hadn't actually considered this implication of the worker until now,
but this worked out nicely.  The main reason your proposal was so
unpleasant is it would make the log API limited and irritating to use
(and/or require a bunch of fancy implementation in plugins to print
things, which is crazy) because of a bunch of real-time safety concerns,
when printing in real-time is nonsense anyway.

Now we have all the abilities, but the functionality is cleanly
separated as it should be, and log implementation is trivial.  Win.