[Devel] Go language using URI-based includes

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Feb 12 08:37:45 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 04:26 -0500, Jeremy Salwen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM, David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>
> wrote:
>         Perhaps worthy of note (lest anyone think I've hit drank a bit
>         too much
>         of the semantic web kool-aid), the Go language is using
>         URI-based import
>         paths very similar to LV2:
>
>         https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!
>         topic/golang-nuts/tLsxO2S4yoQ
>
> This seems to be a different sort of URI importing.  In this case it
> seems like the URI must be a URL, and is used for the actual automated
> downloading of the package, rather than as just an identifier.
>
> From my understanding, you can use *any* unique URI to identify pretty
> much anything in LV2.
> For these go packages, these URIs must point directly to a location
> from which you can download sources in a read-to-build format.

Not really, these are all just things you *can* do, in either case.
What tools there happen to be at the moment is kind of beside the point.

Though for us, such build-time auto fetching would probably be done
based on the pkg-config name.  Unfortunately there is not a direct
mapping from our mangled pkg-config names to a URI, though a tool could
probably make a half-decent guess, but extension URIs with hyphens in
them will break it.  A better mapping could be picked (a character
unlikely to be in a URI as a slash replacement), but at the cost of
portability to some filesystems.