[Devel] Thoughts on lv2-universe-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 11:15:55 PST 2012

On 02/11/2012 07:53 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 14:18 +0100, Brendan Jones wrote:
> [...]
>> I've been thinking about what this means to packaging the LV2 spec in
>> general. After some thought I believe Fedora would end up packaging each
>> separately in any case, unless all of the spec extensions were versioned
>> the same as lv2core, but that would not happen right?
>
> Right, the actual versions have strong meanings and would remain the
> same.
>
> Why would Fedora still package them individually?  (Debian actually does
> it all in one despite them being released individually)
>
> Would releasing in one tarball make this difficult?  Would each
> sub-project having its own build system still be necessary, or would a
> single top-level one do?

Well we have some stuff which will only build against lv2core > 4 for
example (misplaced header references mainly). I guess if we package the
core separately we could do this. But moving forward we still need some
way of tracking the version dependencies. Unfortunately there is no
facility to attribute different version-release-* tuples within a single
RPM in the Fedora build system.

We could version the rest of the spec according to the svn revision /
date and prepend the lv2core version e.g. 6.x.svn201202011. The version
of the spec package/sub-packages would then only get bumped when the
core does. Can you see anything wrong with this approach?