[Devel] Fwd: [andraudio] Native audio plugins packaging and discovery

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:17:01 PDT 2011

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail at gmail.com>
Date: 2011/7/16
Subject: Re: [andraudio] Native audio plugins packaging and discovery
To: A discussion list for Android audio developers
<andraudio at music.columbia.edu>

2011/7/14 Olivier Guilyardi <list at samalyse.com>:
> On 07/13/2011 03:31 PM, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>
>>> Well, I happen to be a commercial host (well.. potential host) developer, and as
>>> a small company owner I highly prefer open and modern standards such as LV2. The
>>> only downside is that it's a bit obscure and complex right now.
>>
>> Can you write down a list of things that could improve the situation
>> (possibly with priorities)?
>
> 1. Add a small and simple Hello World plugin tutorial on http://lv2plug.in based
> on the amp example. Make sure to turn important keywords into links to reference
> documentation, but keep the tutorial very short.

We only have this: http://www.nongnu.org/ll-plugins/lv2pftci/ online
at the moment (a bit dated), but I don't remember having any other LV2
programming tutorial.

It would be nice to have indeed.

> 2. Add another (more realistic) tutorial and example, possibly for a small
> useful effect, using a /little/ more metadata and extensions, but no UI. (I
> personally especially love this presets extension).

Ok..

> 3. Add a page a or link to a page showing how to write a minimal host, with
> example code, such as what is found in the LADSPA SDK, so that plugin developers
> can test their plugin. (maybe something around lilv/utils/)

Inside lilv there is at least one such thing, but no tutorial/etc.

Would be nice to have, but this is lower priority for me, since lilv
API documentation is quite easy to follow.

> 4. List existing hosts and plugins to show how LV2 is used in practice

We had this on the old wiki, just waiting for Dave to resurrect this stuff.

> And then, maybe in the future, add other examples, say a small synth with MIDI
> input, or a plugin UI, and write nicely structured guides for plugin and host
> development, containing all tutorials and more. In the meantime, the four points
> above can help, I think.
>
> But, please, by all means, keep it simple. Make it easy for a plugin developer
> to get the job done quickly.

IIRC there was some discussion regarding an example MIDI plugin but I
can't recall the outcome.

>>> Good, but my opinion on all this is that you need to inject a business approach
>>> into LV2. Let it be free and open, but make it profitable somehow. It should be
>>> possible to find an ethical business model.
>>>
>>> My other two cents ;)
>>
>> It depends on what you mean by business model.
>>
>> Ardour and Linux DSP should be already making some money from LV2 (and
>> I am going to get PhD funding for that as well :-P), but you are maybe
>> referring to a "business infrastructure" of some sort (e.g., community
>> development bounties, host/plugin store, don't-know-what)?
>
> I don't know precisely, but you could think some more about this. LV2 needs to
> be "plugged" into the economical world. Right now it's too academic IMO.

I do personally think this is has to be orchestrated among developers
using LV2 (hosts mainly, plugins too) rather than only among
developers of LV2 technology (core, extensions), and possibly having
those who already have some serious commercial/economical activity
going on.

The only names that come to mind are: Ardour, LinuxDSP and Olivier. :-)

I mean, people behind most LV2-related projects never had to deal with
consistent amounts of money for their work (think: me, Dave, Nedko,
Lars, etc.) and probably lack the competence and experience in this
regard, so we could at best try to help, but we don't know how to do
marketing, "lobbying", etc.

Stefano

P.S.: can I forward this reply to the LV2 developers' mailing list, so
that at least we keep track of the good points you made?