[LV2] Looking for a way to implement parameter name/range updates in JUCE+LV2+Ardour

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat Mar 16 06:45:58 PDT 2024

On Wed, 2023-08-09 at 14:13 +0200, Albert Graef wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This discussion started in
> https://github.com/plugdata-team/plugdata/issues/1034, but David
> suggested that I bring it up on this mailing list so that we can hash
> out the details and maybe craft an implementation that will make this
> kind of dynamic plugin changes work in LV2.

Apologies for the extremely late reply, I've admittedly been a bit
allergic to new things in the spec lately as I focus on cleaning up
some of the things around it first.  This would be nice to sort out,
though.

> The dynamic changes in question are the ability to adjust automation
> parameters on the fly, specifically their names and ranges.

[...]
> I'm willing to do the necessary coding myself and embark on crafting
> corresponding pull requests for JUCE, Ardour, and plugdata, as
> necessary. But I need help on how to implement these changes using
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/patch. If anyone has any code snippets
> demonstrating how to utilize these patch messages on both the plugin
> and the host side, please toss them my way, so that I can study them.
> Thanks. :)

I'd be happy to do the implementation in Ardour or elsewhere and figure
out a place to write it down in the spec.  My knee-jerk is that the
"you can send messages about your own properties to the host" idea is
simple and powerful enough to be pretty easy to standardize.

I should also add it to jalv, which isn't very attractive as a host for
users, but does serve as a sort of repository for people to steal host
code from.

Has there been any action on this?  What's the chicken & egg situation
on this functionality currently?

--
dr