[LV2] LV2 & Patchstorage:

Pranciškus Jansas pranciskus at blokas.io
Thu Jan 26 12:21:14 PST 2023

Hello LV2 Community!

Pranciškus from Blokas/Patchstorage here. Hermann Meyer suggested reaching
out here.

Let me begin by expressing our team's gratitude for all of your work that
helped us bring projects like Pisound and Patchbox OS to life that heavily
relies on the LV2 ecosystem.

I am reaching out because we are in the midst of finalizing
<https://patchstorage.com>https://patchstorage.com support for LV2 plugins,
and I would like to have a discussion with you all.

Although the initial idea for this integration came from the need to
decouple plugin builds from Patchbox OS releases in the context of the MOD
stack, with help from other MOD-based projects, we reached a state that
could benefit the entire LV2 ecosystem.

What we have with Patchstorage now is a proof-of-concept system that allows:

   - LV2 plugin developers to build their plugins for different platforms
   locally.
   - Publish/update multi-platform plugins to Patchstorage via CLI utility.
   - For new/existing projects like MOD-UI, integrate Patchstorage as a
   plugin cloud solution via Patchstorage API.
   - For end-users to explore, download, rate, comment on plugins, and
   subscribe to new plugin notifications. Also, having a centralized LV2
   library would highly increase the visibility of the entire LV2 standard
   (SEO, spill-over effect from other platforms hosted on Patchstorage, 23k
   MAU last month).
   - For plugin developers to communicate directly with their users and get
   donations from them (via any 3rd-party service). Later on, we could
   implement Bandcamp-style “pay what you like” model.

You can find more info here -
<https://github.com/patchstorage/patchstorage-docs/wiki/Platform:-LV2-Plugins>
https://github.com/patchstorage/patchstorage-docs/wiki/Platform:-LV2-Plugins
.

We are at the stage where we can start populating the LV2 section on the
site, but before doing so, we would like to discuss with you what would be
the best way to move forward:

   - Would such kind of single LV2 library/index be beneficial from your
   point of view? What aspects/features would be most appreciated by plugin
   developers?
   - In your opinion, would the plugin developers be willing to build and
   upload plugins themselves? If not, could there be concerns if we upload
   plugins ourselves, of course giving the credit for authors and linking to
   their project pages?
   - Regarding builds and targets - we have quite clear requirements for
   the MOD stack projects, and currently, the builder supports x86_64,
   raspberrypi3_armv8, raspberrypi4_aarch64 platforms. Having said that,
   Patchstorage could support a different packaging option for other targets
   as well. From your experience, is it practically feasible to provide
   packaged plugins built for different targets/platforms (in single digits)
   that would cover at least 70% of end-user needs? I am not that familiar
   with all the Linux packaging and dependencies nuances and don’t know what
   architecture and Linux distro combinations are the most popular.

To sum up, I would like to understand how much effort we should dedicate to
Patchstorage and LV2 questions - should we stick to covering just
MOD-based-projects needs, and that’s it, or with your help, we could
achieve something that would be a great boost for the entire LV2 ecosystem?

Any ideas and thoughts are highly welcome!

Cheers!
Pranciškus Jansas
Team Player at Blokas
blokas.io
community.blokas.io

[image: Blokas]
This message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are kindly asked to telephone or
email the sender and delete this message and any attachments from your
system.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are strongly requested not to
copy this message or attachments or disclose the contents to any other
person.
Any liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by
law.