[LV2] How to debug plugins ?

Sven Jaehnichen sjaehn at jahnichen.de
Sun Oct 10 05:54:43 PDT 2021

Hi Mario,

The IMO* easiest way to debug LV2 plugins is by running them inside the
minimal LV2 host jalv. But first you have to compile the plugin with the
-g option.

Then you have to call gdb with the jalv variant you need from the
terminal, like:

     gdb jalv.gtk3

Then inside gdb you run jalv with the parameters you usually pass in the
command line. At least the plugin URI:

     run https://my.plugin.uri

Then you can continue with debugging, setting breakpoints, and so on as
you do it for other programs. You may take a look into gdb tutorials.

A useful way of tracking bugs is also implemented in the LV2 specs. See
https://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/log .

Best wishes
Sven

*there are lots of other ways, feel free to try out.

Am 09.10.21 um 23:34 schrieb Mário Luzeiro:
> Hello all,  > > I'm new to LV2. > How should I proceed to debug (eg: gdb) a plugin
? as it is called by an host.. how can breakpoint, step-by-step debug
can by applied here? > > Mario >