[LV2] [LAD] Feature request: icons

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Mar 18 11:35:02 PDT 2021

On Thu, 2021-03-18 at 09:36 +0000, Alexandros Theodotou wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-03-15 at 18:06 -0400, David Robillard wrote:
> > Personally I'd just avoid 99% of those nightmares and ignore the
> > concept of system icon "names" and bitmap sizes entirely and just
> > stick
> > an SVG in the bundle and point some property at it.  That's
> > trivially
> > easy and works just like everything else in LV2 does.  There's
> > nothing
> > magic about files in bundles, no paths to configure, etc.

> > I suppose, as a middle ground, we could punt in much the same way
> > that
> > we do with lv2:binary: you can specify a whole bunch of them if you
> > want.  Sorting out which one to use is the host's problem, solved
> > by
> > looking at the files themselves.  Thus conveniently avoiding the
> > need
> > to write a vocabulary for information that's already there anyway.
> >

> I think you're right about keeping it simple with a single property
> that points to an icon file (lv2:icon?). Even if we go with that I
> guess additional sizes could be provided by adding a suffix to the
> icon
> filename or something, like filename.svg.32x32. Sounds simple and
> flexible enough to me.

Okay.   Nothing in any of the vocabularies we already use, so... should
we just invent lv2:icon?  Something like

lv2:icon
   a rdf:Property , owl:ObjectProperty
   rdfs:comment """An icon to display for the subject.

This property should be a URI to some loadable image file.  it is
recommended to provide an SVG icon with extension ".svg" which is
relatively simple and can be displayed for any reasonable common icon
size.  Several icons in different formats and sizes can also be
provided.  It is assumed that the icon files are self-descriptive
enough that applications can select a preferred icon from several
alternatives, there is no vocabulary for specifying sizes or formats.
""" .

This seems like it could be extended to support any of the fancier
things that have come up in this thread so far, I don't see anything
troublesome about it.

?

--
dr