[LV2] New method "slider" to lv2 specification

Spencer Jackson ssjackson71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 08:24:53 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 3:16 AM MAXIPENNA at libero.it <maxipenna at libero.it>
wrote:

> Imagine that you need to calculate the five coefficents of a simple
biquad filter. The coefficients need to be changed when you rotate the
"Freq" knob. In all the lv2 examples I've found, all the coeffs are
re-calculated in the "run" method but, from what I know, it's wrong. In the
run method I should execute only the code that implements the biquad cell.

> The method slider should run in a separate thread and a signal or a
variable used to notify run method to fetch the newly calculated coeffs
when they're ready and start use them. In theory run thread should be able
to mask the slider thread as much as he need it.

There is the worker extension which allows you to have a separate worker
thread, so you could do some calculations there, however as Robin indicated
this thread then would need to pass the new coefficients to the audio
process thread and do interpolation there. So it's hard to say if you'd
really have any performance gains.

_Spencer