[LV2] RFC: ui:requestParameter feature

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Feb 18 13:08:14 PST 2020

On Tue, 2020-02-18 at 11:56 +0100, Hanspeter Portner wrote:
> What about providing any number of accompanying metadata
> (no matter whether the host cares or not) ?
>
> Just a wild idea for it to be more future-proof.
>
> e.g. variadic function just as example (could well be a list of
> LV2_Atom_Property_Bodies or whatever).
>
> LV2UI_Request_Parameter_Status (*request)(LV2UI_Feature_Handle
> handle,
>   LV2_URID key, ...);
>
> request(handle, myparam, NULL);
>
> request(handle, myparam, mime:type, mime:audio/wav, NULL);
>
> request(handle, myhiddenparam, rdfs:range, atom:String, mime:type,
>   mime:text/plain, NULL);

I had the same thought, but like so many places, this is conceptually
what we want, but actually doing it in C is dramatically less pleasant
than the idealised example like above.

We could add a features parameter just in case though.  That's pretty
much always a good idea, and not much of a nuisance if you don't use it
(just pass NULL).

--
dr