[LV2] Feature request: DSP write_function() ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Dec 21 04:46:38 PST 2020

On 12/20/20 11:49 AM, Sven Jaehnichen wrote:
> My request: LV2 UI can call the host to change control port via the
> write_function(). I don't see such an option for the DSP instance. Why?

Control parameters may be automated. In automation playback mode, the
host has full control over the parameter value at any point in time.

The UI supports touch [1] to ask a host to start, and end writing
automation. If that fails due to automation playback, the user will see
that immediately and can act.

If a plugin would like to change a parameter, it also has to be able to
handle the case that some requested value change cannot be applied. The
Atom API allows for this.

This is particularly important if multiple parameter-changes have to
happen in sync (or not at all).

ciao,
robin

[1] http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#touch