[LV2] Feature request: DSP write_function() ?

Sven Jaehnichen sjaehn at jahnichen.de
Sun Dec 20 02:49:29 PST 2020

Hi,

the old problem: control ports are READ_ONLY in LV2. Me and other plugin
programmers struggle about it. I know it has been discussed here before
and I know the workarounds (like parameters) and their limitations.

Actually I read in unfa's software chat that the Surge programmers team
are struggling about this problem too:

> |We made this choice because parts of the current LV2 spec and Surge
> are incompatible in a couple of ways, most importantly in the LV2
> assumption that plugins never modify their control input port. Actions
> like ‘changing parameter types when an effect changes’ or ‘patch
> changes’ are not compatible with this design constraint. As a result,
> the LV2 - especially in Ardour - unreliably saves and restores state.
> The solution - which we are working on - is to use new LV2 APIs that
> allow current Surge behavior (and match what other plugin specs like
> AU and VST do).|||

My request: LV2 UI can call the host to change control port via the
write_function(). I don't see such an option for the DSP instance. Why?
It would be nice to have it. Or are there restrictions why it's
impossible or problematic to implement?

Best wishes
Sven