[LV2] MIDI: NOTE OFF on or just before deactivate() or cleanup()

Sven Jaehnichen sjaehn at jahnichen.de
Sun Nov 24 06:00:00 PST 2019

Am 23.11.19 um 11:56 schrieb David Robillard:
> Not really, no.  There's no hook for the last run cycle before being
> deactivated.
>
> Might be interesting to think about whether there could or should be,
> but right now this is the host's reponsibility.

Hi David, hi Filipe,

thank you for your answers. I expected this already.

A hosts responsibility would be tricky. There is question for the host
if the host should stop (usually in case of a virtual MIDI piano, or an
arpeggiator, or a step sequencer) or not (usually in case of a MIDI ON
signal which is only passed thru or only velocity-modified). Thus, the
host can't decide without additional information. At present, none of
the hosts I tested (jalv, carla, ardour) automatically stops
plugin-generated MIDI ON signals.

Maybe it would help the plugin in the last run() to know if deactivation
is scheduled. As you mentioned. From my POV, this would only be a "nice
to have". Not urgent.

Best wishes
Sven